Friday, March 19, 2010

Let The Right One In (US)/ Låt den rätte komma in (SE)


Let The Right One In is a 2008 Swedish Vampire movie which as been billed as being brilliant and unlike any other vampire movie made. It centers around 12-year-old Oskar, a lonely bullied boy, and his developing a friendship with a vampire "girl." It is based on a Swedish novel of the same name. This movie garnered high reviews from movie critics and fans alike, claiming this is one of the greatest vampire movies. This movie is currently #200 on IMDB's greatest movies list.

Since I had read the reviews, I had high hopes for this movie. But, I was sorely disappointed. Coming in at 114 minutes, it is a long boring drivel of hyped-up shit. I applaud the actors for their performances. These children actors did a fine job, but damn this movie is slow and boring. I kept waiting for something to happen throughout the movie. I truly can appreciate a good foreign horror film and the moody atmosphere it tries to create. But nothing damn happens in this movie. I was bored about half way through, just wishing it would be over. I know people will accuse me of missing the point of the movie and being too supportive of the shit Hollywood brainwashes people with, but for christ's sake, I don't want to sit through 2 hours of this overrated crap. I love foreign horror movies - think Haute Tension, Inside, and Antibodies. But, each of those movies had more action and more thought provoking scenes than this one.

People predict that the American remake of this film that is slated to come out in this year will be Hollywood crap, and I agree, but I think it will be much more enjoyable than this one. I'm sorry, but painfully slow scenes interlaced with five lines of dialogue and little action are not my idea of a great movie-going experience. Just because I don't like the movie does not mean that I am a dumb American, uneducated and unable to enjoy the finer things of life, as many will lambast solely because I will not pretend to like this movie. I feel sorry for those out there who secretly despise this movie but are afraid to admit it. In fact. I dislike the people who pretend to like it more than I dislike the movie itself. It's an okay movie that was based on a good idea but ended up being a waste of two good hours of my life. The people who pretend to like this movie because they do not want to be told they are tasteless idiots are people I have to deal with every day. They are all around me, pretending to like thing solely because they are told to like them by pop culture shoving likes and dislikes down our throats. At least I can put this movie back in the shelf and forget about it.

This pretentious little movie won't be going away anytime soon, unfortunately. I do plan on seeing the remake and giving it a fair viewing though. I never much cared for vampire movies, except for that gem Vampire in Brooklyn. Boy, did that movie scare the bejesus out of me when I was younger. Now I watch it because its a funny movie that a good waste of time about every six months. I still refuse to watch the bullshit Twilight movies. It's Harry Potter all over again! And I was hard-headed enough to stay off of the Harry Potter bandwagon.

I know I did not review the movie in depth here. There ain't much to say about it. Now I'm just pissed off about the time I spent writing this.

Overall, movie gets 1.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment